This easy Blueberry Bread is moist and delicious. The perfect quick loaf recipe perfect for breakfast or snack. The simple crumb topping takes it over the top!
I am not a hot weather kind of person, but I must say I love baking with all the fresh berries I see in the stores now, from strawberries to raspberries to even a mixture of berries, there's nothing like fresh.
How to make Blueberry Bread
In a small bowl combine the sugar and flour cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs, set aside to use as the topping.
In a large bowl beat together the eggs and sugar, continue to beat while slowly adding the oil and vanilla.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Alternately add the flour mixture and the yogurt to the wet ingredients. Stir just to combine, do not over mix.
Gently fold in the blueberries.
Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with the crumble tossing.
Bake, let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Yes you can use frozen berries instead of fresh, and of course there is no need to thaw them, just add them frozen.
Why toss berries with flour?
Tossing fresh or frozen berries with a little flour keeps the berries from sinking to the bottom of the pan, it also works with nuts and chocolate chips too.
What makes a quick loaf moist?
Adding yogurt to a baked good adds moisture and fat to the batter which results in a moist quick bread or even a cake. Also using oil instead of butter helps add moisture. This way you will never have a dry cake or quick bread but a delicious one!
What does mix just to combine mean?
When you over mix quick bread or muffin batter you will end up with a tough baked good, so the best thing to do is to stir just until the flour is wet. Don’t worry about small batter lumps, they really do disappear when baked. And you will have a soft, delicious loaf. When adding berries, gently fold a few times into the batter.
Why add baking soda?
Baking soda is used to neutralize the acids in a recipe and to add tenderness and a little leavening. Recipes that include anything acidic such as yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk and brown sugar to name a few. When baking soda is combined with an acid and a liquid it starts to work, therefore be sure to bake it immediately and don't leave it to sit.
Can I make muffins instead of a loaf?
With this recipe you can certainly bake it in a medium muffin tin, be sure to fill the tins almost to the top and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for about 18-25 minutes or until the tooth pick comes out clean.
More Delicious Quick Breads
So if you are looking for something delicious to make with a cup or two of blueberries, look no further, this Blueberry Bread is all you need. Enjoy!
Blueberry Bread Recipe
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter soft
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I use corn or sunflower oil)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1-2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen* (I only used 1 cup)
*Toss the blueberries with 1-2 teaspoons of flour before adding to the batter.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C). Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and flour cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs, set aside to use as the topping.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs and sugar, continue to beat while slowly adding the oil and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the yogurt to the wet ingredients, stirring just until combined the batter will be a little lumpy, don't worry that's good. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer the batter (it will be thick) to the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with the crumb topping and bake for approximately 45-60 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool approximately 15-20 minutes in the pan then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!