Sourdough Crescent Rolls
These simple Sourdough Crescent Rolls are light and tender. Made using your discard sourdough starter. The perfect snack or breakfast treat!
Servings: 8 rolls
- ⅓ cup + 1 ½ tablespoons unfed sourdough starter (100 grams)
- ⅓ cup milk - lukewarm (I used 2%) (75 grams)
- 3½ tablespoons butter (melted/cooled) (50 grams)
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (60 grams)
- 2 cups flour all purpose or bread (260 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼-⅓ cup Jam or Hazelnut Cream Filling
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling
- 1-2 tablespoons milk for brushing
In a large bowl or stand up mixing bowl with the flat beaters or whisk, mix the discard with the milk until combined, add the melted cooled butter and yolk and mix, then add the sugar and combine. Add the flour and salt and with the dough hook start to knead, knead for 5-7 minutes (speed 2) until smooth and elastic. The dough should not be sticky.
Once combined, roll the dough into a large circle (14-15 inches/37-39 cm) and cut it into 8 or 12 triangles. Place a spoonful of Hazelnut Cream (Nutella) or your favourite jam on every triangle and roll up.
Place the crescents on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap place in a warm draft free area and let rise 6-8 hours or until doubled in bulk.
Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
Brush the crescents with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar or cane sugar if desired. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg