Simple Yogurt Bread is moist, soft and makes a great snack or breakfast idea. Made with yogurt, this easy quick sweet bread is the perfect side to your morning tea or coffee!
Simple Yogurt Bread
Baking, I think, is one of those things you either love it or you don't like it at all. I'm not sure there is very much in between. From what I hear from people who don't enjoy it is because of the fact that it is so rigid.
You need to measure everything correctly, there is little room for error. They feel that there is less of an opportunity to get creative than if they were cooking.
To be honest, part of this is true! But as I have learned over the years, that while yes there is little room for error and things do need to be measured properly, there is definitely room to be creative.
Making yogurt bread, like other simple and quick bread is a great place to start. You can get creative with what you add to it, whether it is chocolate chips or raisins and even a few choices on yogurt flavour.
Starting with a simple and easy recipe when learning how to bake is a great way to not get overwhelmed.
This quick yogurt bread recipe is perfect for everyone no matter where you are in your baking journey!
How to make simple yogurt bread
Preheat your oven and grease and flour a loaf pan.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and then set aside.
In a large bowl or stand up mixer beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Proceed to add half the flour mixture and beat to combine. Slowly add the oil while beating and then add the yogurt and remaining flour mixture.
Beat on low until smooth.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cool completely before serving. A dusting of powdered sugar can be a nice added touch!
What is yogurt bread?
So the name may sound a little fancy, it's actually quite simple! It's bread. Made with yogurt. Literally, that's it. You're welcome.
What does yogurt do to bread?
Yogurt is a great way to make a more tender bread without changing the taste of it. It does this because of the yogurt's acidity which allows the gluten to relax. It also replaces fats such as oil and butter and although this recipe still calls for oil, there are recipes that omit the oil.
Can you freeze sweet bread?
Absolutely, keep it wrapped in plastic or an airtight container and it will keep in the freezer for up to a month. It will also keep at room temperature for a few days and in the fridge for approximately a week. Thaw at room temperature.
So if you are looking for an easy sweet loaf then I hope you give this Simple Yogurt Bread a try and let me know. Enjoy!
Simple Yogurt Bread
- 1 ¼ cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (170 grams)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (34 grams)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large eggs*
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I usually use corn or sunflower oil) (100 grams)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon yogurt* (apricot, peach or vanilla whole fat) (200 grams)
*Room temperature, remove from the fridge 45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9.5 inch (24 cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, bakings soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl (or stand up mixer) beat on medium speed the eggs, sugar and vanilla for 5 minutes. Then add half the flour and beat to combine, slowly add the oil while beating, then add the yogurt and the remaining flour, beat on low speed (#2) until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too much, then cover with foil and continue baking. Let cool completely before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!